Existing cancer therapy in narrow use shows significant activity against other cancers
A drug currently used in just 1% of cancers has significant potential against the remaining 99%, according to a new study. Ivosidenib, or AG-120, is currently used against cancers that have a mutation in the IDH1 gene. However, study results show that Ivosidenib is also effective against unmutated, or ‘wild-type’ IDH1. The protein coded by the IDH1 gene in cancers helps cancer cells survive in a stressful tumor environment, so any inhibitor medication that could weaken this defense mechanism is considered a promising therapy.
Materials provided by University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.
Source link aaaaa